To promote and preserve free enterprise with integrity; through superior education, safety, political action, business developement and career opportunities in the construction industry.
ABCIL was established in 1975
. We aggressively promote and protect the free enterprise system and the Merit Shop Philosophy.
- Is a construction trade association representing over 400 member companies involved in the commercial and industrial construction markets in Illinois.
- Is one of 72 chapters of the national Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. (ABC), one of the most influential trade associations in the United States.
- Is the only construction association that unites the entire construction team to work together for their own mutual benefit and the construction industry.
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national association with 72 chapters representing 23,000 merit shop construction and construction-related firms with nearly two million employees. ABC's membership represents specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry.
- ABC Is the construction industry's voice with the legislative, executive and judical brances of the federal government and with state and local governments, as well as with the news media.
- ABC's mission is the advancement of the merit shop construction philosophy, which encourages open competition and a free-enterprise approach that awards contracts based soley on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
- Through its national office and chapters, ABC's objective is to provide its members with an organization to deal with issues on an industry-wide basis.
- ABC's activities include government representation, legal advocacy, education, workforce development, communications, technology, recognition through national and chapter awards programs, employee benefits, information on best practices and business development through an online contractor search directory.
ABC was founded in 1950 when seven contractors gathered in Baltimore, MD to create an association based on the shared belief that construction projects should be awarded on merit to the most qualified and responsible low bidders. Their courage and dedication to the merit shop philosophy spread rapidly, and within time, ABC became the fastest-growing association in the United States. Today, ABC is recognized as one of the leading organizations representing America's business community and the merit shop construction industry.
ABC values economic freedom within a free-market economy, with open and fair competition and diverse participation constantly striving to achieve the highest levels of personal and company performance.
ABC values the highest levels of personal and corporate standards of behavior characterized by responsibility, accountability and integrity, with demonstrated personal and industry professionalism by all participants.
ABC will continually strive to be the leading voice promoting free enterprise within the construction industry. ABC will promote and defent the merit shop philosophy. This philosophy encourages open competition and a free-enterprise approach to construction based solely on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
The Vision of ABC is an environment in which people and companies succeed based on free-enterprise principles within the free-market system.
The Core Purpose of ABC is to advance and defend the principles of the merit shop in the construction industry and provide members and their employees with an opportunity to succeed.